Top Talent Staffing is pleased to partner with our client in their search for a Senior Property Accountant.
Reporting to the Property Manager for performance planning of responsibilities within the portfolio management team and with dotted line reporting to the Vice President for leadership responsibilities within the accounting team. This position is a member of a portfolio team and oversees certain activities of any number of the property accountant, administrative assistant, and accounting clerks.
- Prepare financial statements, projections, and year-end files, including accrual entries, cash flows and accompanying notes, as required.
- Monitor general ledger accounts for reasonableness and compliance with adopted accounting standard and prepare necessary entries.
- Prepare accruals for operating & prepaid expenses, depreciation and amortization including tenant improvements.
- Review recurring journal entries on a reporting basis for accrual, prepaid compliance with agreements and update continuity schedules for deferred R&M; post journal entries and file appropriately.
- Calculate amortization of PP&E, with a full understanding of different methods to accomplish this.
- Prepare entries for mortgage payments and TIPPS.
- Complete GST returns and relevant accounting entries in accordance with prescribed regulations and deadlines, as set out by Revenue Canada.
- Prepare management fee adjustments on a reporting basis or per Client exception, submit copy to Accounting Clerk.
- Provide information to third-party consultants retained for the completion of appraisals, audits & financing.
- Regularly review and communicate with property administration to verify accuracy of financial data within the financial management system.
- In collaboration with property administration, compile financial data for annual operating budget preparation according to a standard budget template and Client exceptions, including cash flows and balance sheet items such as prepaid expenses, depreciation, lease-ups, and amortization.
- Respond to financial management requests, analyze and report financial information.
- Enter recovery accrual adjustments quarterly based on information supplied by property administrators; assist property administration as requested with calculating year-end recoveries and adjustments.
- Review A/P generated within assigned portfolio for accuracy, proper coding, holdback compliance and appropriate back up; verify coding slip to indicate that A/P is complete for payment.
- Review bank balance and release A/P weekly; maintain regular open communication with A/P Clerk on cheque runs.
- Prepare cash distributions/calls in accordance with the applicable management agreement(s).
- Reconcile bank accounts and clear cheques.
- Be accountable for the accuracy and currency of the standard property procedures.
- Provide orientation, training and mentorship to new accounting recruits.
- Regularly audit financial reports prepared by the portfolio team drawing attention to opportunities to improve accuracy, timeliness, presentation, compliance to GAAP and delivery of financial information in accordance with client agreements.
- Respond to ad hoc requests of property accountants, accounting clerks and accounts payable clerks for assistance, training and advise.
- Understand audit requirements under all agreements governing managed property; coordinate the annual audit procedure; negotiate audit engagement with auditor selected by the owner; organize the accounting team to conclude year-end files; sign bank and mortgage confirmations; obtain legal confirmation letters as required; coordinate signing of representation letters by the VP; process payment of audit fees and attend to audit coordination and wrap up meetings with audits; addressing issues that may arise and report final results to the management team.
- Monitor accounting industry trends and news drawing management’s attention to the need for and recommending the appropriate change in accounting standards and practices.
- Visit remote offices locations as necessary to ensure accounting procedures, financial record keeping, and on-site accounting practices adhere to standards and practices.
- Assist the VP and members of the corporate team as requested from time to time in overseeing, managing and delivering the financial affairs and client agreements.
- Coordinate property accounting activities with the corporate business unit and shareholder requirements, reporting activity regularly to the VP in this regard.
- Build mutually beneficial relationships with clients accounting representatives and auditors that add value and enhance the achievement of the financial objectives established for the client, the property and company.
- Completion of post-secondary education in business/accounting degree
- Completion of a CPA designation an asset
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience
If you would like to apply for this role, please email your resume to:
Top Talent Staffing Inc.
Please note that only those being considered for the position will be contacted.